Monday, June 2, 2008

Happiness & Sadness - The MCG

Well, I finally got there, the famous MCG, to see an Australian Rules game. My good mate Nick wakes me up on Saturday morning with the happy news... "Jane, I have a spare ticket to the football today... Wanna come?" Well of course I wanted to go so I said, "Heck yes I do!". We sorted out particulars, and then as an afterthought (unfortunately this shows my lack of keeping up to date with the football world) I asked, casually "So, who is playing today?" and Nick (in obvious disgust) replied "Eagles vs. the 'Mighty" (and yes I coughed at "the mighty") Magpies".
Collingwood. I hate Collingwood. I moved to the wrong side of Melbourne. I live on the Collingwood side of Melbourne. eww. I don't follow football all that closely but I do know that you either love, or hate Collingwood. Nick is a big Collingwood supporter. Reconsidering the friendship....
Well Melbourne loves football, so we hopped on the train (I live on the MCG train line - keep that in mind family - how easy it will be for you to go to the football if you come visit me). Melbourne also loves to hate West Coast supporters. Nick went on to tell me how amazing Collingwood was, I then with my usual audacity asked him when the last time was that Collingwood made the Premierships, he coughed and I smiled - one Jane, nil Nick.
The MCG is huge, there are statues out the front of Hall the greats, Betty Cuthbert, Ron Barassi etc. We had great seats apart from me being surrounded by Collingwood supporters. I did all the right things. Cheered the Eagles, heckled Collingwood supporters, ate a Meat Pie (with free tomato sauce - how Australian is that!) and then unfortunately my luck came to an end. The Eagles let me down. This next picture gives you an idea of how bad the last half was:














All in all it was a good day, I loved my trip to the MCG, luckily I didn't wear Eagles colours, I may have been even more despised. I have told Nick anytime he wants to take me to the Footy, he can, especially if the Dockers play. Love ya and miss ya all!
Jane.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janey, it's the coolest atmosphere hey?! We went to an eagles game there playing the bulldogs and the score was frighteningly similar. Your Mum and Dad are "honeymooning" their anniversary away in Pemberton. Simon and I tried to persuade them to give Durian Bay (North not south) a go!... for when Rachel and Chad come. but not so!!!!!!!!! oh well. I was thinking of you this week and today thought many times..."AMy you have to call jane" but it's too late now so I thought I'd check your blog at least. We've been at Joondalup hospital all arvo, with megs. Chest infection that looked like it was getting nasty, but actually looks like we caugh it in time. so oral antibiotics was the order from the DR after 6 hours and
2 x-rays. They were very good, but I'm so glad Sara was willing and able to have nate!!!(and hannah) while we waited around. Love our new house. Love you more. have a happy day. love AMY

Anonymous said...

really nice photos of you by the way!

Rachel said...

I was so excited there was a new post - I was ready to start harrassing you to give me some sort of update. Looks like you had a fun day, holy cow the Eagles suck pretty bad this year, I'm sorry you didnt get to rub a win in with your friend and the other supporters. Just hearing you talk about eating a meat pie makes my mouth water. Glad all is well!